Contribution to project

Mar 27, 2013 at 6:44 AM
Hi,

First of all I wanted to congratulate you on the fantastic job that that you have done with MDM.
It keeps surprising me on how flexible and easy to use it is.

I keep browsing the code and every-once in a while I see something that I could slightly improve, either in readability, performance or reliability, but I get reminded of days of creating and dealing with patches in svn and tfs and them being completely ignored (sometimes for years).

That brings up my main question, have you considered moving the project to git (hosted in either codeplex, github, bitbucker or anyother git host)? it would really make contributing to the project much simpler if you were to do that.

also, in general how open are you to contributions, obviously its a moot point if you aren't.

ps. In case that is something you are open to but aren't familiar with git I would be more than happy to help out during the transition.

again, thanks for the great work.
Coordinator
Mar 27, 2013 at 3:51 PM
Thanks for the kind words!

I’d love to see more community built around the project. A project that attracts contributors seems like a very positive thing to me all the way around (that seems like a watermark unto itself). I would also like to see another bump in the downloads on Nuget. I’ve been thinking about doing a Codeplex write-up for it at some point (I think that would probably get some new users interested). However, despite the unit tests and the fact that I’ve used it on all of my own projects, I can’t help but feel a little nervous at the idea of posting an article and then getting all the “oh great, another ORM” comments. But I digress…

I love the idea of improvements being made and some refactoring of the existing code; especially if you see areas that you know could be improved or you know the perfect pattern for something. I also am open to the idea of new features provided that it has been discussed and vetted out. Obviously there is a fine line between good new features and bloat, and even the smallest features need lots and lots of testing (considering that people expect their ORMs to NOT destroy their data.. lol). I guess that’s my main concern is it’s easy to release a new version that introduces a bug, and then you see 100 people download it Nuget! However, that’s not to say that I don’t want many more releases… just that it takes a lot of testing. Obviously having another developer could help with that aspect.

Regarding TFS vs. Distributed VCS: I have created a Mercurial Hg and used it for a project. It was a tough transition, but I learned a lot in the process. I think you are right that for an open source project with contributors, DVCS really is a better model. I will look into what it takes to change over.

I also saw Hanselman’s post on VS giving first class support for GIT, so I have been wanting to give it a try.

To summarize, I am very open to both of your ideas.

Thanks,
Jordan
Mar 27, 2013 at 5:40 PM
That's great to hear,

I have some minor experience with Hg, the concept is almost exactly the same as git, however I find tools, documentation and community support around git to be much stronger.

Have you made a decision on the host? staying with Codeplex or moving to github/bitbucket? I would be more than happy to transfer the current repo to git (including full history) and transfer the ownership to you.
Coordinator
Mar 27, 2013 at 6:49 PM
I'm still thinking about it, but I am leaning toward keeping it on Codeplex because it provides a very nice landing page for the project, plus I already have a good amount of documentation here. However I'm not sure yet if it will allow me to transfer the existing account and url to use a Git backend, or if that will require creating an entirely new project.
Mar 27, 2013 at 6:51 PM
according to their FAQ, they can transfer your repo to Git if you ask them to.

http://codeplex.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=CodePlex%20FAQ#TFStoMercurial
Mar 27, 2013 at 6:54 PM
however, one nice thing about github is that the documentation is part of the repo, so you could have version documents and also receive pull requests for documentation. (I don't see anything like that in codeplex, i think you would be the only one that can edit the docs.)

also take a look at http://pages.github.com/ for landing pages.
Coordinator
Mar 29, 2013 at 2:08 AM
I just checked out the new VS2012 tooling for Git, and it is still in Beta (v0.8) and it sounds like the users are still finding bugs. You have pretty much convinced me to switch to Git, but I think I will wait for them to get the bugs worked out before making the switch.
Mar 30, 2013 at 10:47 PM
sounds good. looking forward to it.